Tuesday, October 06, 2009

I took Lorelei to a small local show. I had a good time. I got to look at restored cars, unrestored cars, and custom cars.
Many of the cars were very good looking. I answered questions about Lorelei, and I asked many questions or just complemented people.
The 300SEL 6.3 was a very expensive car new; equivalent to about $90,000 or 100,000 today. During a conversation someone made a comment about inheritance. I replied with "There is a negative side too." I then look up at my beautiful car in the distance and saw a piece of father.

At work there are pictures of father, Lorelei, Baxter, and me. These are from Daria's slide show. I will find myself staring at them. I'm looking at father, very alive at 90, showing off Lorelei to me with pride. That is my inheritance; pride. Pride in Lorelei, but even greater is pride in my parents.
A week ago on Friday Amy Goodman of Democracy Now told us listeners to take a moment to take a deep breath as her mother was struggling for each breath. On Monday we were told that Amy's mother died. I am honored that Amy thought enough of her listeners to let us know about her personal struggle. Amy's mother gave us all an inheritance; a woman of seemingly unending energy and concern for humanity.
The other day at work there was a lot of noise around me so I put on earphones to listen to music. During a Creedence Clearwater Revival song some phrase made me think of father. I tried to work with tears in my eyes. When the song ended I decided to listen to something without words. I played Michael Cedric Smith. It brought back memories of Vermont and the joy you could see in father as he listened to Michael play the guitar.
There is a negative side to material inheritance; death. Recently events have illuminated inheritances given to me long before death: pride, concern for humanity, enjoyment of life, love of music. There is one more I want to write about.

This last picture is of a beautiful car. It has the beauty of age. It has a history. It has a story to tell. It is up to us to ask about it. Likewise people have a story to tell, but we have to ask.
With love to my parents, my wife, my children and grandchildren, to all my family, and to anyone that happens upon this page.

Labels: , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Granny Smith said...

Thank you, with tears in my eyes.

10/12/09, 5:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home